- 1 – 1 1/3 cups of toasted, roasted, or raw almonds
- 1/3 cup (I used a bit more, actually) of unsweetened coconut
- pinch of sea salt if desired
- 1/4 cup of crisped rice cereal (Note: to all you gluten free’ers like me, remember that regular, name-brand cereals use barley malt in their product. However, the wonderful people at Kellogg’s decided to make a brown rice Rice Krispies cereal WITHOUT the cursed barley in it! It’s my fav now – and yes, they still snap, crackle, and pop)
- 1/4 cup of honey (if you don’t want to use honey, try a syrup of some kind i.e. brown rice or even agave nectar.)
- 1/8 cup of flaxseed meal (note: this is purely optional. It offers an extra fiber boost. If you do add this, though, only use 1 cup of almonds… or add extra honey!)
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line an 8×8 pan with foil (I used nonstick foil) then spraywith nonstick spray. Mix the almonds (I usually chop the almonds up a bit, still leaving whole chunks), coconut, crisped rice cereal, salt, and (if you so desire) flaxseed meal together in a medium size mixing bowl. Add the honey and mix some more! Scrape the yumminess into the pan, press it down firmly (with more foil or wax paper), and pop into the oven for 18ish minutes. Let cool in the pan for another 18 minutes then lift out of pan using the foil. I usually let it cool for 5 or so more minutes then chop into 8 bars using a butcher knife. You can separate the now cut bars at this point, or let them set a little more.
They’re a bit sticky to handle, but it’s worth it! I wrap mine up in wax paper, tape the backs, and store in an airtight container. It makes it super convenient to take with me to work, traveling, etc… Since Kind bars are rather expensive, this really makes a nice alternative.
Anywho, Enjoy! 🙂